Making progress on the XVth Legion Part 2

I’ve been through a few different ways of doing the red for my Thousand Sons. I experimented with painting a matte red that would be kind of like 40k Blood Angels, but settled on wanting the “candy red” of Forge World’s displays and most people’s 30k Sons.

I don’t own an airbrush, so I had to find a way of doing it without. Like most I started with the Retributor armour spray from GW. I have had horrendous luck with this spray, the finish coming out as totally different across different models in a batch, even from one press of the can to the next, not 5 seconds later. Some models are really smooth and shiny, others have a duller, more grey tone. I sprayed it on over a black spray for the most part, though a couple of models were done from bare plastic (would not recommend).

From there I tried a couple of things. The first was multiple layers of thinned down Spiritstone red, thinned with Carroburg Crimson. This is a play on the Excellent method by ElectricEve. I found that I couldn’t get the consistency right enough of the time to get the coverage and finish I wanted, and it was taking too long.

Next I tried Spiritstone red over the gold directly, and it looks awful.

Finally I tried a purple wash over the gold to tone it down, and then Spiritstone Red over the top. This was a little too bright so a wash with Carroburg to deepen the colour was in order. This made the colour far too flat, so I tidied it up with a thin layer of ‘ard coat to restore the shine. This is the result:

Quite quick to do and really effective I think.

With this in place I have now finished 5 guys with more on the way.

I’ve also put together one of the Exalted Sorceror models from the current 40k Thousand Sons to use as a Praetor, using bits which seem era appropriate, to use as my HQ along with Amon.

The next task is to get the red done on the whole pile including my two contemptors

then I will reward myself by building the Primarch of the Thousand Sons, Magnus the Red.

Thanks for reading!

Ongoing Projects: Emperor’s Children

The Emperor’s Children have always been my favourite of all the traitor legions. There’s something about the height and speed of their fall from grace which captured my imagination when planning out my 30K and 40K Traitor forces. I wanted to show them in the midst of this fall, fully taken in by the chaotic powers and embracing the fleshchange and mutations that this brings, yet still recognisable as the legion beneath.

I also had a time pressure for this army, with a 30K event at Warhammer World only a few months away. I therefore used a lot of simple techniques for painting the marines and vehicles, spraying purple, drybrushing with light purple and then bringing it back with a wash of Druchii violet. I left the shoulder pads purple as well, rather than filling in with white, as it increases the “chaotic” and colourful nature of the force to be a mass of purple.

For the parts that I did paint “white” I utilised the Slaanesh grey line of colours to achieve this, tying in the white on the marines with the flesh of the Daemonettes that accompanied them.

Moving to 8th, I want to expand my army by painting up a couple of units of Warp Talons, an autocannon Havoc squad, some chosen and a Maulerfiend. After that I’ll be working on some Possessed, though I haven’t really thought about how to make them stand out from my regular marines who already show a fair amount of mutation. Watch this space.

Thanks for reading!